Scandinavian Airlines is continuing to expand its network and will add an additional nine weekly services to the US: a new six weekly route between Copenhagen and San Francisco, commencing April 8, 2013 and a new evening departure to New York three times a week as of April 1, 2013.
North America is an important and growing market for SAS. A large number of International and Nordic companies have expressed a strong desire for a direct service between the US West Coast and the Nordic countries, and SAS is pleased to offer this new route with six weekly departures year-round between Copenhagen and San Francisco, with smooth connections to other European and Northern American destinations.
“SAS is always looking to serve markets where there is high demand from Nordic Travelers. We see a favorable market situation in North America and a particularly strong demand in the growth area of San Francisco and the US West Coast. The new route will benefit business and leisure travelers, Nordic imports and exports and has been highly sought after by the business community,” says Rickard Gustafson, CEO of SAS Group.
The important hub of the US West Coast, San Francisco International Airport, offers fast and efficient transfers to an extensive SAS partner route network on the US West Coast and the South Pacific area, including Hawaii, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver and Mexico City.
According to SAS a large number of their passengers have expressed a strong desire for additional departures from Copenhagen to Newark. With this in mind SAS have decided to bring back this evening flight with 3 weekly flights from Copenhagen to Newark.
These new lights will provide even greater travel flexibility for both business and leisure travellers.
“We are pleased to be able to deliver new service in response to our customers’ wishes,” says Rickard Gustafson.
Currently, SAS operates nonstop service from Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm to New York, as well from both Copenhagen and Stockholm to Chicago, and Copenhagen to Washington DC.
· SAS is the only airline to offer a nonstop services between Northern Europe and San Francisco and is expecting approximately 125,000 passengers per year on the route.
· SAS will depart from Copenhagen daily, except Tuesdays, at 12:25 pm, arriving San Francisco at 2:24 pm same day. Departure from San Francisco to Copenhagen also daily, except Tuesdays, at 5:35 pm arriving the next day in Copenhagen at 1:15 pm.
· Flying time will be 11 hours and 20 minutes. The departure times provide the best transfer opportunities to other destinations in Scandinavia and Northern Europe.
· Departure from Copenhagen will be at 6:25 pm and arriving Newark at 8:50 pm the same day. The late Copenhagen service will depart Newark at 11:30 pm and arrive in Copenhagen the next day at 1:15pm. It will be the last flight departure from Newark to Europe.
· The flight will operate on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
On its non-stop transatlantic flights, SAS offers wide-body Airbus A330 and A340 aircraft, audio/video entertainment at every seat and EuroBonus frequent flyer points. For the past 3 years, SAS was ranked Europe’s most punctual airline according to flightstats.com.