Inflight Entertainment Engineer – Virgin America
Virgin America HQ, Burlingame, California, United States
Virgin America is a brand new airline dedicated to making flying good again. Virgin America incorporates the Virgin Brand’s world-renowned customer focus and distinctive style, to create a high-value, low-fare airline that’s reinventing domestic flying through award-winning service and innovative amenities. Are you Virgin enough? If you have the thirst and creativity to make this the most wowed airline in the sky, then we promise to make this a Company where inspired people like you will always love to work.
Are you Virgin enough? Virgin America loves team members with the thirst and creativity to make this the most wowed airline in the sky. In return, we promise to make this a company where inspired people like you will always thrive.
Main Areas of Responsibility:
The IFE Engineer is responsible to the Director of Engineering for assuring compliance with Company and FAA requirements. The IFE Engineer is responsible for, but not limited to, performance of the following duties and functions:
Duties, Responsibilities, and Authority:
• Plan and direct the execution of ongoing software changes and trend failure history to assess system performance and implement fixes and improve IFE system reliability.
• Facilitate daily in-service technical meetings with vendors, monitoring and managing implementation of all action items.
• Analyze and evaluate system performance to identify opportunities for improvement while seeking cost savings.
• Collect and interpret component and system data, then suggest appropriate engineering methods for improvement. Work with reliability analysts to identify opportunities for IFE system reliability improvements, then spearhead the effort to implement these changes with our vendors.
• Review and revise technical data files as needed to reflect the current configuration of Aircraft and Components (Line Replaceable Units I Software).
• Maintain fleet software configuration by working with vendors and maintain control points to ensure uniformity
• Author and revise Engineering Orders I Tasks Cards as needed. Write comprehensive instructions for loading software and incorporating control points to ensure fleet configuration control
• Participate in reliability reviews on a Monthly basis
• Coordinate the development and implementation of software enhancements with other departments and work through testing process to ensure functionality isn’t lost and reliability is maintained
• Provide on-site engineering support to evaluate and develop plans for IFE issues. Create technical documents to guide maintenance teams for known issues and workarounds
• Provide trouble shooting assistance and technical support for resolving any issues relating to design, operation, performance, modification and repair of the IFE system.
• Travel (up to 40%) will be required to support aircraft modifications, emergency field service and maintenance I Vendor visits.
• Works with vendors and Virgin America planners, engineers, quality and maintenance technicians to implement modifications. Implement changes where necessary to improve efficiency, reliability and the quality of our aircraft to provide the best experience for our guests.
• Possess knowledge of the maintenance sections of a Company’s General Maintenance Manual, Continuous Airworthiness Maintenance Program (CAMP), Operations Specifications, and the applicable engineering, maintenance and inspection provisions of each section.
• Plan and direct the execution of inspection standards, methods and procedures used in complying with all applicable 14 CFR regulations and manufacturer’s recommendations.
• Ensure compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations, ATA standards, and Company policy.
• Complete assignments as defined by the Chief Engineer, Director of Engineering and the Operational Review Board (ORB).
• Provide programs covering other maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations that ensure that maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations are performed in accordance with company manuals and each aircraft released to service is airworthy and has been properly maintained for operation under 14 CFR part 121.
• Review and perform a timely disposition of Airworthiness Directives and Service Bulletins. Author Engineering Orders to maintain the operational reliability of the fleet.
• Perform technical review of all applicable service related technical documents for incorporation into Virgin America’s Maintenance program or Aircraft Configuration Management as appropriate and validated by safety, reliability or company requirements.
• Other duties as assigned commensurate with a start up airline.
Professional Experience Required
• Candidate must possess Linux skills and have experience with IT networks and wireless systems.
• Additional knowledge of aircraft maintenance, illustrated parts catalogs, and wiring diagrams.
• Knowledge of airline maintenance operations as well as experience in statistical analysis and data mining from corporate databases.
• Experience designing, building, maintaining, or servicing IFE systems and components preferred.
• Experience in software development, testing, troubleshooting and control.
• Skill and experience working with MS Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint as well as database interrogation and reporting tools.
• Knowledge and experience with aircraft certification requirements, airline maintenance operations, aircraft engineering, parts fabrication, and installation is essential.
• Experience with 14CFR part 121 carriers, and part 145 MRO’s is essential.
• Experience with Airbus A320 aircraft preferred.
• A&P License is preferred.
Skills & Abilities Required
• Great personal interaction and project management skills.
• Great communication skills in coordinating and facilitating discussions with internal teammates and external vendors. Great personal interaction and project management skills.
• Detail oriented and possesses a high skill level with analytical and presentation tools such as Excel and PowerPoint.
• Experience with database interrogation tools is preferred.
• Able to work to tight deadlines, draw people together, manage multiple work streams at one time and deliver on time and within budget.
• Possess the entrepreneurial spirit of Virgin America.
• A passion for innovation and the patience and tenacity to see it through to completion.
• Detail oriented and possesses a high skill level for effective project management.
• Is a self starter capable of working across departments and with multiple vendors.
• Responsible enough to own their projects and find ways to solve problems and succeed.
• Up to 40% Travel expected
• Extensive use of computers
• Professional Certifications and Education Required
• Four (4) year college degree and or 4+ years experience in In-Flight Entertainment equipment design, installation and / or support.
• A&P preferred, but not required.